Day 1: Cusco – Lares Hot Spring – Wacawasi
A member of staff will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco and will drive you to Calca through the Sacred Valley of the Incas where you will see amazing scenery along the way.
Upon arrival, you will make your way up to the Hualcapunku pass (4,500m /14,847ft), from here you will be able to see stunning scenery, valleys, snow-capped mountains, rural communities, and their animals such as llamas and alpacas.
Your next stop will be Lares, where you will have breakfast and spend the remainder of the morning visiting the natural hot springs where you can relax and explore the area.
After lunch, we will trek for 3 hours through the Andean valley until we reach our fist campsite at Huacawasi (3,750m/12,377ft).
- Maximum Altitude: 4,500masl/14,847ft.
- Minimum Altitude: 2,900masl/9,570ft.
- Walking distance: 11km/6.8 miles
- Walking time: 3 hours
Day 2: Wacawasi – Ipsaycocha Pass – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
Your first activity will be learning about the locals’ weaving techniques. You will be able to see step by step how they make their textiles and products such as ponchos, chullo hats, scarfs, etc.
After this, you will trek for approximately 3 hours to reach the top of the Ipsaycocha Pass (4,500m), the highest point of the trek. Once you arrive, you will have amazing views of the surrounding mountains. You will then walk down for an hour until reaching the beautiful Ipsaycocha Lake, where you will stop to have lunch.
We will then drive towards Ollantaytambo where you will rest and have dinner. After dinner you will take the train from Ollantaytambo station to Aguas Calientes.
Upon your arrival at Aguas Calientes, a member of staff will direct you to your accommodation. You will then visit Machu Picchu the following morning.
Maximum Altitude: 4,550m/15,017ft
Minimum Altitude: 2050m/6725ft
Walking distance: 16km/9.9 miles
Walking time: 9 hours
Day 3: Aguas calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
After breakfast you will board the bus to the Wonder of the World, Machu Picchu. Here you will have a guided tour which will last approximately 2 hours. After the guided tour, you will have free time to explore the site at your own pace and take the perfect photo of Machu Picchu.
You can choose to add the following experiences to your trip:
- Hike to Huayna Picchu overlooking Machu Picchu
- Visit the Sun Gate
- Hike to the Inca Bridge
After the tour, you will take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes. There you will have free time to have lunch and explore the town and it’s vast craft market before you take your train and van back to Cusco city.
Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo train
Drive from Ollantaytambo to your hotel in Cusco
* We also offer a 2 day, 1 night Lares trek option which costs $599 US Dollars per person. Please get in touch if you are interested in this option.
- Hotel pick up and transportation to Lares
- English/Spanish speaking tour guide
- PeruRail Expedition train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Caliente
- PeruRail Expedition train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas calientes
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Guided tour in Machu Picchu
- Hotel with private room and bathroom in Aguas Calientes
- Meals during the 3 days of the trek (lunch is not included during the last day).
- A cook and cooking equipment
- Horsemen and mules, to carry all camping and personal equipment
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
- Boiled water to fill your bottles with
- Chef and cooking equipment and kitchen tent
What’s not included:
- Sleeping bag (can be rented from Cusco for the duration of your trek)
- Water on day 1
- Breakfast on day 1, Lunch on day 3