The 2 day Inca Trail is a fantastic option for those who don’t have the time or desire to hike the full length of the classic, 4 day Inca Trail. With beautiful scenery and a visit to the Inca Trail’s most beautiful site, Wiñay Wayna, you get to enjoy all of the best bits of the Inca Trail condensed in to a relatively easy one day hike. Covering a distance of 16 km/10 miles, the 2 day Inca Trail is less challenging and makes for a perfect option for families and those on a tight schedule.
Day 1: Inca Trail day 1
CUSCO – WIÑAY WAYNA – MACHU PICCHU
You will be transferred from your hotel to Km 104 by train where you will begin the trail by crossing the Vilcanota / Urubamba River. The first place you will visit is the archaeological complex of Chachabamba (2250 MASL). You’ll climb away from the river along an original Inca highway, and through flora and fauna which is home to hundreds of bird and orchid species. We’ll emerge from the cloud forest at Wiñay Wayna (approximately 3 hours after we start the trek).
Wiñay Wayna is a beautiful ceremonial site divided into two sectors and fashioned from finely-carved stones which fit together with great precision. After exploring the site, you’ll then continue your hike to the Sun Gate, where you’ll get your first view of Machu Picchu. Here, the final stretch of the royal Inca highway will take you to the citadel of Machu Picchu itself, which lay hidden for four centuries by forest and is open for exploration. From Machu Picchu, we will take the bus down to the town of Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes), where you will spend the night.
Total walking distance: 13 km (8,08 miles)
Walking time: 6-7 hours
Maximum altitude: 2,650m (8,692 ft)
Day 2: Inca trail day 2
Early in the morning after breakfast you will board the bus up to the entrance of Machu Picchu (2400 MASL). You will then have a guided tour around the Wonder of the World which will last approximately 2 hours. After the tour, you will have enough time to explore the citadel on your own and make sure you take the perfect photos! In the afternoon, you will go back down to Aguas Calientes by bus, where you will have time to explore the town and its colourful craft market. Afterwards, you will take the train back to Cusco city.
* We also offer this trek with other train services. If you wish to upgrade, here are other options:
- 2 Day Inca trail with PeruRail Expedition and Vistadome service: $569
- 2 Day Inca trail with return PeruRail Vistadome service: $605
- 2 Day Inca trail with PeruRail Expedition and luxury Hiram Bingham: $905
- 2 Day Inca trail with PeruRail Vistadome and luxury Hiram Bingham: $929**
We offer discounts for large groups – please let us know the number of travellers when you contact us.
- English/Spanish speaking tour guide
- Expedition train to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) & return train to Cusco
- Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes bus
- Entrance to the Inca trail
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Guided tour
- Box lunch on the first day
- Dinner on the first day
- Breakfast on the second day
- Accommodation on the first day
- First aid kit
- Oxygen tank
What’s not included:
- Lunch and dinner on day 2
- Meals not mentioned, tips and other personal expenses.
2 DAY INCA TRAIL PHOTOS
INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS TOUR REVIEW
JOEL & LYNSEY – 2 DAY INCA TRAIL
“The service provided by Into Peru was excellent…the team went the extra mile to ensure we were given the best service. Everyone was super friendly! The Inca trail was an incredible experience and worth every penny! I highly recommend the 2 day Inca trail. It is an experience we will never forget – Machu Picchu is even more amazing in real life!”